You want to lose weight and get in shape, right? You’ve told yourself this time it will be different, you won’t mess up and have to start all over again next year. You’ve promised yourself this time your New Year’s resolution for 2012 is the last one you’ll ever make.
To help you stay on track and remain committed for the rest of your life, here are some strategies that have worked for me and many others. They can work for you too:
- Read everything you can on the subject of fitness. Fill your mind with facts, stories, pictures and general information on exercise, nutrition, and stress management techniques. Become an expert on the subject. Knowledge is power. The more you know; the more weapons you will have to counter your old unhealthy impulses.
- Keep a journal. Record daily your activity level, food intake, moods, dreams and expectation. Journaling will help you become important to yourself. Spend time reflecting on your behavior, goals and dreams. When you learn to love yourself, commitment will be forever.
- Practice affirmations. Speak to yourself as you would a queen. Show yourself the respect, care and love you would grant royalty. “I am powerful and smart”, “That was just a little mistake, I can do it better the second time”, “My personal needs are my priority”, “My body is my most precious possession, I want to take care of it”, “I can’t wait to exercise again tomorrow, I feel fantastic!”, “I am enjoying preparing healthy foods to feed my body and brain”.
- Announce to family and friends you are on a new path, not just to lose weight, but to sustain your health and longevity for the rest of your life.
- Before you go to sleep at night, name 10 things you’re grateful for.